Created in April 2012, this expedited examination aims to encourage sustainable innovation and to reduce environmental impacts.
The first phase of the program was restricted to Invention patents only; in the second phase all Brazilian direct filings were accepted, including Utility Model Patents. In the third phase, starting on 07/15/2014, the applications filed via the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) in Brazil were also accepted.
What are the requirements?
- Technology should fit one of the green technologies, click here to see the complete list;
- Payment of the Technical Examination fee;
- Payment the Annual fees (due up to the Green Patent request);
- Application should be published (it is possible to pay the anticipated publication fee);
- Payment the Government fees related to the Green Patent program (BRL 890 for corporate / BRL 356 for individual);
- Statement concerning negative access to the National Heritage (or Authorized Access Number CGEN to the National Heritage).
- Maximum of 15 claims in total;
- Maximum of 3 independent claims.
Intellectual Property, which also proceeded with the amendments in order to fit the application to the Green Patents program requirements above-mentioned. The granting of the patent was published in the Industrial Property Official Gazette (RPI) in a record time: only nine months after the Green Patent request was filed.
The Green Patents program aims to reduce the time frame of analyzes, which is usually between 6 and 10 years. The program committee only examines patent applications in the following categories: alternative energy, transportation, energy conservation, waste management, and sustainable agriculture.
Would you like to learn more about this issue? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org